Web Rush Episode 173: Getting the Best out of TypeScript with Maina Wycliffe
Maina Wycliffe talks with us about how to write better TypeScript. How does he decide when to use TypeScript? How do you deal with null? Are TypeScript Enums bad? What are our pet peeves in TypeScript? And thoughts on creating a type from another type.
Recording date: Feb 17, 2022
John Papa @John_Papa
Ward Bell @WardBell
Dan Wahlin @DanWahlin
Craig Shoemaker @craigshoemaker
Maina Wycliffe @mwycliffe_dev
Brought to you by
Visit nx.dev to get the preeminent open-source toolkit for monorepo development, today.
- Yes, Bradley Cooper does voice Rocket
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Basic types in TypeScript
- Non-null assertion operator in Typescript
- Union types in Typescript
- Enums in Typescript
- Kevin Chisholm
- Creating types from types in TypeScript
- Utility types in Typescript
- Type Assertions in TypeScript - why not?
- 01:03 Ward's haircut
- 02:06 Guest introduction
- 03:40 What made you want to use TypeScript?
- 05:51 How do you decide when to use TypeScript?
- 09:08 Sponsor: Ag Grid
- 10:07 How do you deal with null in TypeScript?
- 14:37 Are TypeScript enums are bad?
- 20:12 What are your pet peeves in TypeScript?
- 21:36 Sponsor: Nx
- 22:12 What's your second pest peeve?
- 27:25 Why would you create a type from another type?
- 35:52 Final thoughts
Podcast editing on this episode done by Chris Enns of Lemon Productions.